The organization was created in 1984 by the Texas Association of Secondary School Principals so that the best high school students in Texas would have the following opportunities:
- To learn about the teaching profession, its opportunities, responsibilities, and its important role in our democracy.
- To explore their interests and abilities in relation to the various fields of teaching.
- To cultivate the qualities of character, service, and leadership which are essential in good teachers.
- To learn how and where teachers receive their training, the cost, scholarships available, number of years required, certification requirements, and standards.
- To study the lives and influence of great teachers.